Yokohama College of Art and Design
Faculty of Art and Design, Department of Art and Design
Art education that cultivates the root of human’s creative activity is education in its most essential form.
To cultivate a wonderful humanity and creativity among students and to raise future leaders who can contribute to the society, the college practices these 3 educational purposes.
- The acquisition of specialized expressive skills in art and design.
- The acquisition of theoretical knowledge of art and design.
- The acquisition of general liberal arts skills necessary for contribution towards society.
- We encourage our students to acquire general knowledge and expressive skills with the help of enhanced education during the first year.
- Students are able to choose between several specialized fields flexibly through our cross-curriculum.
- We encourage our students to acquire a wide range of knowledge including general and specialized education in order to maintain a well-balanced education.
- The educational support program is available to aid each student by providing them with educational support.
- With the help of our enhanced career support programs each student is able to be provided with help and support needed for any job-hunting and career-related problems.
Yokohama College of Art and Design awards diplomas to students who satisfy designated course credits, and acquire 3 of the following skills,
- Specialized expressive skills in art and design.
- Theoretical knowledge of art and design.
- General liberal arts skills necessary for contributing to society.
To accomplish our educational purposes, we organized a curriculum based on the following basic policies.
- 3 different cross-curriculum models are designed; A type (painting, sculpture), C type (craft design) and V type (visual design) for students to acquire general knowledge and expressive skills of arts and design during the first year.
- Students are required to take academic literacy, English I, Basic Digital Representation, Digital Presentation and Basic Visual Expression class during the first and second year in order for them to be able to study well and acquire certain results.
- 8 course models; paintings, sculpture, craft, product design, textile design, visual communication design, visual media design and illustration are provided for students to choose from during the second and third year for acquisition of specialized knowledge and expressive skills of arts and design.
- Context Art subject group is designed as specialized subject in the curriculum of second year in order to help students with the learning of practical skills of the specialized field mentioned in the course models above.
- In the 4th year, students are required to produce art projects as their graduation work as a compilation of the studies done in respective fields.
- General education and specialized education are designed in order for students to acquire a wide range of education and theoretical knowledge of arts and design from the first year through the fourth year.
- Course to assist in acquisition of license for the position of a web master is provided from the first year through the fourth year.
- Courses to assist in the acquisition of teaching licenses for middle school or high school art education are provided from the first year through the fourth year.
In order to accomplish all of our educational purposes, Yokohama College of Art and Design seeks students who will strive to attain the following traits and use them to extensively contribute to society.
- Students who attempt to acquire general and specialized expressive skills in art and design.
- Students who strive to master a wide range of education.
- Students who aim to make use of the knowledge and skills gained to contribute to society.